Thursday, March 18, 2010

Are you a Digital Native?

Many thanks to Brian Bailey, a UD '94 grad (Marketing and Finance) for speaking to my Capstone class on Tuesday. Brian, who works at NCR, gave a fantastic presentation on NCR's business units including his own in product line management. Brian also introduced the class to the terms "Digital Native" and "Digital Immigrant," referring to those who grew up with technology and those who didn't. Companies that understand digital natives have a shot at reaching this audience through the ways they communicate, and those that don't, well, don't have a shot.

Last night at dinner with some colleagues I was explaining these terms to them, and one mentioned that his teenage daughter's cell phone bill showed 10,000 text messages in one month. I looked at my cell phone bill when I came home -- 15 text messages. I guess that puts me firmly in the "digital immigrant" camp!

No comments:

Post a Comment